Official Language of Himachal Pradesh
The official languages of Himachal Pradesh is Hindi and Sanskrit is additional official language of HP. Major Portion of state population used to speak in Hindi. But the people of HP state are multilingual. They used to converse in many local languages. Along with geographical diversity there is huge diversity of local dialect in the state as well. After every 50 KM there is slight difference in the language of conversation. Almost in every Distt. Different local languages are spoken. People of some districts converse in two or more than three native languages. These languages don’t have any official status yet.
Local Languages of Himachal Pradesh
Western Pahari languages also known as Himachali languages are widely spoken in the state. Some of the most commonly spoken individual languages are Kangri, Mandeali, Kulvi, Chambeali, Bharmauri and Kinnauri.
- Pahadi Language:- Pahari is spoken in upper Himachal area other than Kinnaur and Lahaul Spiti Dsitt. These two distt has their own different languages. Phari is spoken in Shimla Distt, Kullu Distt, Uper part of Mandi Distt, upper part of Kangra distt. But in all these areas this pahari language has little differences like some words are different and major difference is the tone of speaking. The Lipi of Pahari language is Tankri. Some old Lekhs are written in this Tankri Lipi.
Also Read: Origin of Great Himalaya
- Mandeali :- Mandeali Language is spoken in lower part of Mandi Distt only. In Mandi Block, Balh, Sunder Nagar, Sarkaghat, Dharampur, Padhar and Jogindernagar area. But there is little change in tone and some of words inbetween these areas as well.
- Dogri:- Dogri or Kangri language is spoken in Kangra distt.
- Kahluri:- Kehluri is spoken in Bilaspur area. This language is also known as Khadi boli.
- Sirmauri:- In Sirmaur distt sirmauri is spoken along with jausari and pahari Language.
- In Chamba Distt, Chambayali, Bharmauri, Churahi and Gaddi languages are spoken.
- Above all the language are Western Pahari languages, a subgroup of the Indo-Aryan languages.
- Kinnauri and Lahauli:- These both are called Indo Burman Languages. And are spoken by the people of Kinnaur and Lahaul Spiti respectably.
- Other than these languages, people of some part of state also speaks in Punjabi, Nepali, Jaunasari, Tibetan etc in the border areas of Punjab, Nepal, Uttarakhand and Tibet respectably.
The people of whole Himachal Pradesh are also able to communicate in English, Hindi, and Punjabi etc. That helps the visitors to communicate with local individuals. Some people may not speak in English Hindi or Punjabi but they can understand what is asked, and they can also make visitors understand what they want to say.
Also Read: Geography of Himachal Pradesh
Apart from such a huge diversity in communication languages in the state of Himachal Pradesh, the visitors never feel stuck over here. Because communication here is understandable for all. There are some places in India where people don’t know Hindi or English, They know only their native Language only. That makes communication much difficult. But in HP the person who know Hindi or English, communication for him here will be cup of tea.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?